Oculus Quest is a virtual reality (VR) headset that allows you to immerse yourself in a video game in every way possible. The virtual reality provides an unforgettable experience; it transports you into a different world while you’re home on your couch.
Oculus has two different models that are available at this time. They are Oculus Quest 2 and Oculus Rift. You can play Oculus Quest with only a VR headset and a computer. Meanwhile, you have to power the Oculus Rift with a gaming PC.
The downside to Oculus Quest is that its servers are not available in all countries. You may face trouble trying to enjoy this virtual reality experience in certain regions. Therefore, you need to set up a VPN connection. However, Oculus Quest does not have a native VPN support but there are several ways to bypass that.
RELATED: BEST VPN FOR GAMING
Quick Summary: Best VPN For Oculus Quest
If you’re just looking for a quick rundown of the top 4 VPNs you can use on your Oculus Quest, we’ve done the testing, here are the results:
NordVPN: Is our recommended VPN for Oculus Quest. NordVPN is the fastest VPN we’ve tested, naturally that puts Nord on the top of the list. Additionally, this VPN offers a couple of useful tools and features that no other VPN offers. Features such as the Cybersec for malware and adware protection. Furthermore, NordVPN is easy to set up for your Oculus device and it’s one of the cheapest high-quality VPNs available.
Surfshark: Is the second best VPN for Oculust Quest. It does offer high speed and low latency so you can play your VR games seamlessly. However, NordVPN does offer a more complete package with it’s tools and special features for almost the same price. It’s a personal choice, both VPNs are great for the Oculus Quest.
CyberGhost: Another very solid pick for an Oculus VPN. CyberGhost has thousands of high speed servers that are optimized for low latency gaming. It’s easy to configure and use. CyberGhost also has a lenient 45-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN: Is one of the best all around VPNs on the market and it works great on the Oculus Quest. That said, it’s forth on this list because of it’s price. ExpressVPN is a little bit more expensive than the other 3 options. It is however, a viable option if you want to give it a try.
How to Connect to Oculus Quest with VPN
As mentioned above, the headset does not have native VPN support. Therefore, there are three methods to connect your VPN to the VR headset. We will discuss them in detail down below.
Sideload a VPN Android App
This method is the first thing you can try to set up your VPN with Oculus VR headset. However, sometimes this method does not work, so if you find yourself stuck, try the other methods instead.
To sideload a VPN android app follow these steps:
- Enable developer mode
- To do so, launch the Oculus app and select Settings.
- Select your Oculus Quest headset and click on the arrow next to it.
- Click on More Settings and choose Developer Mode.
- Click on Developer Mode to enable it.
- When the site loads, click on the link below Create an Organization.
- Enter your log-in info for your Oculus account and choose an organization name.
- Submit the request and launch your Oculus app.
- When there, click on Settings, select More Settings and click on Developer Mode.
- Enable Developer mode.
- Install SideQuest on a PC
- Go to the Github website and install SideQuest.
- Download the latest version to your PC.
- Wait for the download, open the file and run it following the instructions.
- Connect with SideQuest
- Connect your Oculus Quest to your PC by using a USB cable.
- Load SideQuest and choose Connect Device.
- Put your Oculus Quest on and then click on Allow USB debugging.
- Enable Always Allow from this Computer.
- Install a VPN on SideQuest
- Sign up for a VPN subscription plan.
- Download the Android Application Package (APK) to your computer.
- Load SideQuest and select Repos.
- Drag and drop the VPN’s APK in the Repos window.
- Connect to the VPN
- Put on your Oculus Quest and go to the home screen.
- Select Library and select Unknown Sources.
- Choose the VPN’s APK.
- Connect to a VPN server.
Share a VPN connection with Oculus Quest
- Select your Pc’s search feature. You can find it on the taskbar in the lower left-hand corner. Type cmd and select the app called “command prompt”. Right-click and select “Run as Administrator”.
- Paste this code and create a hosted network: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=ConnectionName key=Password
- Once done, replace the ‘ConnectionName’ and ‘Password’ in the code with your own information.
- Paste the following code to launch the hosted network: netsh wlan start hostednetwork
- Download and subscribe to a VPN service.
- Launch your VPN client and select a VPN server.
- Go to your Window’s start button and right click. Select Network Connections.
- Select Change Adapter Options.
- Right click on your chosen VPN and select Properties.
- Choose the Sharing tab.
- Enable ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection’.
- Set your Home Networking Connection to the hosted network.
- Put on your Oculus Quest headset.
- Select Settings then Wi-Fi.
- Enter your password and hit Connect.
Set up the VPN on your router
- Log in to the router admin panel through your web browser.
- Make sure your router’s firmware supports VPN client mode.
- If it does, subscribe to the VPN service of your choice.
- Then, Go to OpenVPN Generator.
- Choose a VPN region and select Generate.
- Go to your router admin panel and search for the VPN client section.
- Follow the provided steps to copy the OpenVPN details from your session or to upload the OpenVPN file obtained from your VPN client.
- Put on your Oculus Quest.
- Head over to Settings and select Wi-Fi.
- Select your home network and connect to it.
This method allows anyone who uses your home network to use the VPN. This also helps you torrent files, stream and game with a VPN’s protection. It also means that you don’t need a VPN service with simultaneous connections. This is because you can use one connection for everything.
Why use a VPN with Oculus Quest
VPNs act as a way to get through geo-restrictions and allow you to play Oculus Quest anywhere. In addition to that, a VPN will protect your online privacy and secure your connection through military-grade encryptions. You can enjoy your virtual realities without worrying about geo-restrictions, data breaches or malware.
A VPN for Oculus Quest changes your IP address so that you can bypass geo-restrictions and limits. This way, you can select any VPN server in any region and connect to it. Furthermore, a VPN reroutes your data through its own servers so you can avoid slow speed and high ping.
In addition to that, most VPNs provide anti-malware features that block malware and ads. And with online gaming, you are at risk of DDoS attacks and cyber threats but a VPN shields you from that. This is because a VPN encrypts your data and removes any vulnerability.
Best VPNs for Oculus Quest
NordVPN is the best deal you can get for an Oculus VPN. We’ve tested NordVPN with many Oculus games, it simply works. You can definitely use NordVPN on your Oculus device to play games in different regions, unblock geo-restricted content, protect your online accounts from hacks and other intrusions.
- 5,400 servers in 59 countries.
- Strong 256-AES-CBC encryption to secure your data.
- Smartplay feature to bypass geo-restrictions for Oculus Quest.
- Cybersec which is an anti-malware feature.
- A Double VPN feature to reroute your data through two VPN servers.
- A kill switch.
- Six simultaneous device connections.
- Zero-logs policy.
- NordLynx protocol which provides speed.
- 30-day money back guarantee and a 7-day trial.
Surfshark is an excellent choice all around. It works on the Oculus Quest with guaranteed high speed and minimal lag. Surfshark has many useful features that protect your online identity and gaming profiles, all the while allowing you to access restricted content from anywhere in the world.
- 1000+ servers in 64 countries.
- AES-256 bit encryption to secure your data.
- A kill switch to prevent data breaches.
- No online tracking.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections.
- Straightforward interface and device compatibility.
- Multi-hop connection that reroutes your data through two VPN tunnels.
- CleanWeb feature that blocks malware and ads.
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly VPN for Oculus Quest, CybeGhost is your best option. At a very competitive price, this VPN offers a decent and stable service. You can use CyberGhost to play your Oculus games from anywhere and access geo-restricted gaming content while you’re at it.
- More than 6000 servers in 84 countries.
- AES 256 encryption to encrypt your data.
- Zero-logs policy.
- Automatic kill switch.
- Seven simultaneous connections.
- Anti-malware feature to block malware and ads.
- Easy-to-navigate interface.
- 45-day money back guarantee.
- 3000+ servers in 160 regions and 94 countries.
- AES-256 encryption that encrypts your data.
- Zero-logs policy and no online tracking.
- A kill switch.
- Five simultaneous connections.
- Chrome and Firefox extensions.
- Compatible with TOR browser for extra anonymity.
- Split tunneling option to select the websites or apps you need to work under the VPN.
- 30-day money back guarantee.
VR is a fun and engaging way to escape reality. It immerses you in alien worlds and adventures. However, its servers don’t work everywhere so you need a VPN to bypass the geo-restrictions. Furthermore, you need the security and encryption that a VPN provides.
It’s important to protect your gaming profile and device while playing online games. It’s also beneficial if you’re having connection issues on your Oculus device, a VPN can help resolve those connection issues in most cases.