Are you a gamer? Whether you’re a casual or professional, a VPN can help improve your gaming experience. With a VPN, you can reduce lag and enjoy a more stable connection while gaming. A VPN also helps protect your privacy while gaming online. That’s why in this article we’ll discuss the best VPNs for gaming so that you can get the most out of your gaming experience. Get ready to learn why using a VPN for gaming is essential, what to look for when choosing one, and which are the best ones to use.
In order to find the best VPN for gaming, we tested over 50 VPNs. We took into consideration the factors that impact gaming the most like latency, download speed, bandwidth limits, and security features. After analyzing our testing data, we went ahead and picked out the top 8 gaming VPNs.
Quick Summary: Top 8 Gaming VPNs
If you're looking for a way to improve your gaming experience, a VPN is the answer. Here's our list of the 8 best VPNs for low-latency gaming.
NordVPN is the best overall VPN for gaming. It offers fast speeds, excellent security, unlimited bandwidth, split tunneling, and servers located in more than 60 countries.
Surfshark is a great budget choice with low latency and unlimited simultaneous connections.
is perfect if you’re looking for a cheap and easy-to-use VPN with fast speeds.
CyberGhost has servers around the world and provides excellent speeds for streaming and gaming.
Private Internet Access (PIA) offers excellent customer service, strong encryption, and fast speeds.
ExpressVPN is another great option if you’re looking for speed combined with secure encryption.
Ivacy VPN is great for privacy protection with its zero-logs policy.
Turbo VPN is one of the few cheap options that provide good speeds and low latency for gaming.
- Why use a VPN for gaming
- What to look for in a VPN for gaming
- The best VPNs for gaming
- How to set up a VPN for gaming
- Troubleshooting VPN for gaming
- FAQs about using a VPN for gaming
- Can I Get Around Regional Bans with a Gaming VPN?
- Best VPN for gaming – Conclusion
Why use a VPN for gaming
If you’re a gamer, a VPN can provide you with more than just an improved gaming experience. Whether you’re looking to reduce lag, get around geo-restrictions, avoid DDoS attacks, or increase your privacy and security while gaming online, a VPN is the perfect solution. In this section, we will discuss why using a VPN for gaming is important.
Using a VPN for gaming can help improve ping times by reducing latency. This means that data packets sent from your device to the game servers take less time to reach their destination, resulting in faster responses and improved performance. A good VPN will also allow you to bypass geographic restrictions, allowing you to access games not available in your region as well as connect with players all over the world.
A VPN can also protect you against DDoS (distributed denial of service) attacks. In these types of attacks, malicious actors flood networks with traffic in order to disrupt services and make them unresponsive. With a good VPN in place, these attackers will be unable to target your IP address or disrupt your connection because it has been masked by the encryption provided by the VPN service provider.
Finally, using a VPN for gaming gives you an extra layer of privacy and security when playing online games. Since all of your data is encrypted and routed through secure servers, no one can intercept or monitor it – including hackers who might be trying to steal personal information or credit card details from unsuspecting gamers.
In short, if you want the best possible gaming experience, then using a VPN is essential – not only does it reduce lag and provide better stability but it also increases privacy and security while protecting against DDoS attacks and bypassing geographic restrictions so that you can access games not available in your region. Get a VPN for gaming today and start enjoying the ultimate online experience!
What to look for in a VPN for gaming
Now that you understand the basics of how gaming VPNs work, it’s time to start looking at the different features and factors to consider when choosing the best VPN for gaming. Here are some of the most important ones:
- Latency: Latency is one of the most important factors for gaming, as it determines how fast your game data travels from its source to your device. It’s a measure of how much time it takes for your game data to get from point A to point B.
- Bandwidth: The higher the bandwidth, the more data can be transferred at a given time, which is important if you’re playing games with high graphical quality or streaming in 4K.
- Pricing: Obviously, spending less money is always better when possible. But note that the cheapest VPNs don’t necessarily mean you’re getting the best bang for your buck—so make sure you compare pricing with other features like latency, bandwidth, and features before making a purchase decision.
- Features: Different VPN services have different features that can impact your gaming experience. For example, some VPNs may offer specialized servers just for gaming or have built-in anti-DDoS protection. So make sure you evaluate all of the features before deciding which one is right for you.
Finally, make sure the VPN you choose offers a money-back guarantee in case you’re not satisfied with their services. This way, if something doesn’t work out as expected, you can get your money back without having to worry about any financial losses.
The best VPNs for gaming
Searching for the fastest VPN for gaming can be overwhelming. That’s why having an understanding of what features to look out for is a great way to narrow down your options. NordVPN, Surfshark, Atlas VPN, CyberGhost, PIA, ExpressVPN, Ivacy VPN, and Turbo VPN are all excellent choices when it comes to selecting a reliable and secure VPN provider that won’t let you down during intense gaming sessions.
All of them offer robust security measures, fast speeds, and excellent customer service should any issues arise while using their services. With so many options available on the market today, you’re sure to find the right one for you!
If you’re looking for a quick rundown of the fastest VPNs for gaming, check out our speed and latency test data in the table below.
NordVPN – Best VPN for gaming
NordVPN is widely considered to be the best VPN for gaming. It provides gamers with a fast, reliable connection and a strict no-logs policy, as well as military-grade encryption and an automatic kill switch that prevents data from being sent over an unsecured network.
Not only does NordVPN provide excellent security and privacy, but it also offers top speeds when playing online games. Its servers are located around the world, so you can always find a fast connection regardless of where you’re playing from. Plus, with unlimited bandwidth and no data caps, you won’t have to worry about running out of data or having your speed throttled.
Finally, NordVPN gives users a 30-day money-back guarantee so that they can try the service risk-free. This means that if the VPN doesn’t meet your expectations, you can get a refund within 30 days of purchase without any hassle.
Overall, NordVPN is one of the best VPNs for gaming due to its fast speeds, robust security features, and money-back guarantee. It also has great customer service and helpful tutorials on how to set up the VPN for gaming purposes. All in all, NordVPN is an ideal choice for gamers who prioritize speed, privacy, and reliability when using a VPN for gaming.
For gamers looking for a secure, affordable way to stay connected while playing their favorite titles, Surfshark is an ideal solution. It offers an unbeatable combination of advanced security features, fast speeds, and reliable connections. Its kill switch feature ensures no data can be exposed to malicious actors if the VPN connection fails. Split tunneling allows you to choose which apps and websites you want to use with the VPN, making it easy to access different services in different regions without having to switch your connection each time.
What’s more, Surfshark also unblocks Netflix so you can enjoy watching movies or shows while gaming without being hindered by geo-restrictions. And with its strict no-logging policies in place, all your online activities remain private at all times when using its service. Plus, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can have peace of mind knowing that you won’t be locked into any long-term commitments if Surfshark doesn’t meet your needs.
Overall, Surfshark provides gamers with a comprehensive suite of features that combine speed, security, and reliability – all at an attractive price point. This makes it one of the best options available for those seeking safe and cost-effective ways to stay connected while playing their favorite games online.
Atlas VPN is a great option for gamers looking for a free and secure VPN. It offers plenty of features, such as an ever-growing network of servers in over 50 countries with more than 3,000 servers, generous data limits (10 GB per month), and low latency servers in key locations around the world.
Atlas VPN also provides strong security measures to keep your data safe and secure. This includes 256-bit encryption, a no-logs policy, DNS leak protection, and an automatic kill switch feature. All of these security protocols are combined with strong OpenVPN protocols to ensure that your data remains encrypted and safe from prying eyes.
Atlas VPN also provides fast speeds for gaming purposes – something that most free services can’t match. Gamers won’t be faced with any intrusive lags or buffering when using Atlas VPN because it has servers located close to major game servers so you can enjoy a smooth gaming experience without any interruptions.
The service is available on multiple platforms including Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android devices, so you can easily install the app on any device without any hassle. You can also access the service through browser extensions like Chrome, Firefox, or Safari, which further adds to its convenience factor.
Overall, Atlas VPN is a great choice if you need a reliable yet cheap way to protect your online activities while gaming or just browsing the web. With its robust security features, fast speeds, and generous data limits – it’s definitely worth considering if you want a high-quality VPN for gaming that won’t let you down!
CyberGhost is one of the best VPNs for gaming, offering gamers a secure and reliable connection. It provides a number of features that can improve your gaming experience, such as military-grade encryption, a strict no-logs policy, and an automatic kill switch.
The dedicated IP address that comes with each subscription ensures you have a more stable connection while gaming. This can be especially helpful if you’re playing on servers located in different countries or continents. CyberGhost also offers fast speeds, allowing you to enjoy lag-free gaming without any slowdowns or interruptions.
In addition to providing top security and performance features, CyberGhost also makes it easy to get started with its simple user interface and intuitive software. The service supports multiple platforms including Windows, Android, iOS, and macOS so you can access your favorite games from anywhere in the world. Plus, there is a 45-day money-back guarantee so you have plenty of time to test out the service before committing long-term.
Overall, CyberGhost is one of the best VPNs for gamers looking for reliability and privacy when playing online. With its robust features and excellent customer support team, it’s easy to see why so many gamers rely on CyberGhost for their online gaming needs.
Private Internet Access (PIA) is a US-based VPN provider that focuses on providing users with both privacy and security. It offers a range of features that make it an ideal choice for gamers. The main highlights include military-grade encryption, a kill switch, DNS leak protection, unlimited bandwidth, and fast speeds.
PIA is also easy to set up and use. It has apps for all major platforms including Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android devices. Plus, it has browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. With one subscription, you can protect up to 10 devices at the same time.
When it comes to privacy, PIA does not log any user activity or connection data. This means your online activities stay completely private when connected to the service. Plus, PIA’s no-logs policy allows you to connect with confidence knowing that your data stays secure and anonymous.
What’s more, PIA also includes unlimited bandwidth so you can enjoy gaming without having to worry about running out of data or experiencing slow speeds due to resource limitations. And if you ever run into any issues while using the service, there is 24/7 live chat support available should you need help with anything related to their service or products.
Overall, Private Internet Access is a great option for gamers who are looking for an affordable VPN provider that offers strong security features as well as fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth.
When it comes to online gaming, security is of utmost importance. You don’t want anyone tracking your movements or getting their hands on your personal information. That’s why ExpressVPN is such a great option for gamers—its security features are some of the best in the business.
ExpressVPN keeps your data safe with 256-bit encryption and a strict no-logs policy. It also has a kill switch that automatically shuts down your connection if the VPN fails, so you never have to worry about your privacy being compromised. And if that’s not enough, ExpressVPN also has a network of over 2,000 servers in 94 different countries, so you’ll always be able to find a server that’s fast and reliable.
Additionally, it provides 24/7 live chat support and detailed setup guides for various devices so you don’t have to worry about getting stuck while setting up the VPN. All in all, ExpressVPN offers gamers the best possible experience while gaming online – no risk involved!
So, is ExpressVPN good for gaming? In short, yes. ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs for gaming because of its fast speeds and reliable connections.
Ivacy VPN is a reliable and affordable VPN service that offers a host of features to its users. Some of these features include:
- Security & Privacy: Ivacy VPN is one of the most secure VPNs on the market. Ivacy uses AES-256-bit encryption with an automated protocol selection feature. This ensures that your data is protected at all times while you are connected to Ivacy’s network. Ivacy also has a kill switch, split tunneling, and dedicated IPs available for its users. In addition, Ivacy adopts a zero-data, zero-log policy for privacy and anonymity.
- Performance & Speed: When we tested Ivacy, we found that it offered decent speeds when connecting to servers in the same country. However, we did notice a 50% drop-off in speed when connecting to servers on another continent. That said, we really appreciated the 10 simultaneous device connections that Ivacy offers. That means you can easily get all of your devices connected at once without any impact on performance or speed.
- Device Compatibility & Usability: When it comes to device compatibility and usability, Ivacy VPN makes it incredibly easy to connect no matter which device you’re on. It’s compatible with Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and Windows 10; macOS 10.14 or later; iOS 10 or later; Android 5.0 or later, and even Linux systems. It takes just minutes to set up — all you need to do is get an Ivacy account, download the app for your device, sign in and click connect — it’s that simple! Plus, once you’re connected, you’ll be able to access up to 10 devices simultaneously for complete protection.
All in all, Ivacy VPN is a comprehensive and reliable VPN service with a lot to offer its users. It can unblock websites and content from all over the world, and it’s perfect for gaming and streaming. With Ivacy VPN, you can have the peace of mind that your data is safe and secure, and your privacy is protected.
Turbo VPN is one of the most popular VPNs on the market, and for good reason. It offers a host of features that set it apart from other VPNs.
For starters, Turbo VPN uses AES-256 encryption, which is the same encryption protocol used by the U.S. government and banks. This ensures that your data is safe and secure when you’re using Turbo VPN.
Another standout feature is the kill switch. This kill switch will automatically disconnect you from the internet if your VPN connection drops, ensuring that your data remains safe and secure.
Finally, Turbo VPN also offers split tunneling. This allows you to route specific apps and devices through the VPN, while other apps and devices use your normal, unencrypted connection. This is a great way to keep your data safe while still being able to use your favorite apps and devices.
Overall, TurboVPN is a good choice to consider when searching for a reliable and secure gaming VPN. If you’re looking for better security features, there are other options available but if you’re just looking for a no-fuss option with great connection speeds and no ads then this is an excellent choice.
How to set up a VPN for gaming
Setting up a VPN for gaming is easy. You just need to follow a few steps:
- First, you will need to purchase a gaming VPN. Most services offer monthly or annual subscription plans, so make sure to choose the one that best suits your needs.
- After signing up for a service, you will need to download and install the VPN software on your PC or gaming console.
- Once the software has been installed, launch the app and connect to one of the servers available. You should make sure that you pick a server close to your location (if possible) as this can reduce latency and improve connection speeds.
- Once connected, it is important to test the connection by running an internet speed test or playing an online game. This will ensure that your connection is working properly before you begin gaming with it.
- Finally, keep in mind that some games may require adjustments after connecting to a VPN. Certain features like voice chat might need additional configuration settings in order for them to work properly behind a VPN connection.
It’s worth doing some research ahead of time to check whether any special setup instructions are needed for particular games or consoles before playing online with your new VPN setup.
Troubleshooting VPN for gaming
Troubleshooting a VPN for gaming can be tricky – but with the right tips and tricks, you can find success. Here are a few things to keep in mind when troubleshooting your VPN connection:
- Check your internet connection: A slow or unreliable internet connection is the most common cause of lag or poor performance when using a VPN for gaming. Make sure your internet connection is stable and fast enough to support the game you’re playing.
- Check that the VPN is connected and on: If the VPN isn’t connected and turned on, it won’t be able to provide any of its benefits. Make sure that the software is running properly before beginning any troubleshooting steps.
- Make sure you are using the correct server: Different servers may have different speeds, so make sure that you are using the one best suited for gaming if available. You can test out different servers to see which one gives you the best performance.
- Check for DNS leaks: A DNS leak occurs when your data is sent through an insecure server instead of your encrypted VPN tunnel. This makes your data vulnerable to interception by third parties and can result in poor performance while gaming. To prevent this from happening, check regularly for DNS leaks with a reliable testing tool like ipleak.net or dnsleaktest.com and switch to another server if needed.
- Try another server or switch services: If all else fails, try switching servers or switching services altogether until you find one that provides better performance while gaming.
Keep in mind that some services may not offer specific servers designed for gaming purposes or have limited bandwidth or speed restrictions placed on them – so make sure you read up on their features before subscribing!
FAQs about using a VPN for gaming
A virtual private network (VPN) is a service that allows you to use the internet securely by encrypting your traffic. When you connect to a VPN, all of your online data passes through an encrypted tunnel, which prevents anyone from monitoring or accessing your information. This includes hackers, governments, and even ISPs. A VPN also masks your IP address, allowing you to access geo-restricted content such as gaming servers.
Using a VPN can provide several benefits to gamers. First, it can reduce lag and improve connection speeds by connecting you to servers with fewer users and better performance. It also keeps you safe when playing online games with strangers by masking your IP address and encrypting all of your data, making it impossible for others to identify who you are or where you’re located. Finally, using a VPN can allow gamers to access content that may be blocked in their country due to geographical restrictions.
Although there are many advantages to using a VPN for gaming, there are some potential risks as well. Some free services may have slow speeds or unreliable connections that could disrupt gameplay. Additionally, when selecting a provider, make sure they don’t keep logs of user activity or track any data that could be used against gamers in the future. Finally, make sure the provider offers strong encryption protocols so that your data is protected while gaming online.
Yes! Make sure you pick a server close to your location if possible as this will reduce latency and improve connection speeds; check regularly for DNS leaks; adjust settings on certain games after connecting; and try another server or switch providers altogether if needed when troubleshooting issues with speed or connection quality.
Can I Get Around Regional Bans with a Gaming VPN?
The list of banned games in some regions has been steadily growing over the past few years with increasing global economic tension between countries like the US, China, and others. If you happen to reside in a region where a video game you like is banned, then a VPN can help you get over that hump easily. Here are some countries that are currently banning certain games or have been known to regularly ban certain game genres.
They usually ban any game that is detrimental to “China’s national dignity and interests”. Such banned titles include:
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Plague Inc
- Battlefield 4
- Command & Conquer: Generals
- I.G.I.-2: Covert Strike
- Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni
- Plague Inc./Plague Inc. Evolved
They ban any game with nudity, drug use, violence, and even graffiti. Australia has a specially long list of banned titles that include:
- Saints Row IV
- Katana Zero
- Super Blood Hockey
- Omega Labyrinth Z
- Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni
- South Park: The Stick of Truth
- The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
They prohibit video games that glorify violence and overt sexual activity.
- Army of Two
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
- Dead Island
- Far Cry
- Left 4 Dead (uncensored)
- Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
- Postal III
- Quake 4
- Resident Evil 4
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine
The UK bans any video game title containing realistic violence or sexual conduct. Such banned titles include:
- The Godfather II
- God of War series
- Heavy Rain
- The Last of Us Part II
- Postal 2
- Spec Ops: The Line
- Saints Row IV
- Peace, Gal Gun 2
- Postal III
- Omega Labyrinth Z
Best VPN for gaming – Conclusion
If you’re an avid gamer, then it’s well worth considering investing in a VPN. Not only will it keep your data secure and private, but it can also provide you with a smoother, more stable gaming experience through reduced lag and faster speeds. NordVPN is often considered to be the best choice for gamers due to its outstanding security features, speed, and money-back guarantee. Other excellent options include Surfshark, ExpressVPN, Atlas VPN, PIA, and CyberGhost – all of which offer great value for money.
When selecting a VPN for gaming, make sure to look out for essential features such as speed, bandwidth limits, encryption levels, and logs of user activity; these are all factors that can have an impact on your overall gaming performance. Additionally, check that the provider offers support across multiple platforms so you can enjoy the same level of protection no matter what device you’re using. Once everything is set up correctly then you’ll be free to game without any worries – no longer will your data be exposed or interrupted by pesky lag!
Overall, having the right VPN in place can greatly enhance your gaming experience by providing improved privacy and connection stability; with this extra layer of protection in place, you won’t need to worry about any unwelcome interruptions or data breaches when playing online games!