Runescape is a massive multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG). It delves into a mythical fantasy realm with endless kingdoms, cities and places to discover. The game is popular and well known with a 12,508 peak gaming hours.
Runescape has an open-world format, which means it is up to the player to explore everything. The timeline is not linear, hence making things more intriguing. The game offers constant updates, hundreds of quests and 26 skills to train.
Players earn points by performing a skill, then reaching new levels and unlocking new powers. Runescape presents you with the option to battle or to trade or even to craft. Therefore, it serves several interests.
With that in mind, the game needs a large amount of bandwidth. This leads to lagging and constant high ping. Players often find themselves limited with a slow connection and restrictions.
A VPN service can help you get rid of the high ping and lagging issues. With a VPN for Runescape, you can connect to the appropriate servers and avoid a high ping. DDoS attacks, IP throttling and malware are also present obstacles in your way. Use a VPN service to rid yourself of such issues.
Why Use a VPN for Runescape?
A VPN’s main goal is to protect your internet privacy. You can also use a VPN to avoid malware, data breaches and to change your IP address. Most VPNs today arm themselves with military-grade encryption, so that nothing can get through. Moreover, VPNs keep no logs, so even with police authorities cannot expose your activity.
The reasons to use a VPN while gaming are many, we will list some below.
Malware and DDoS Attacks
Let’s start with the obvious: with online gaming, you are never safe. You are in danger of malware, cyber attacks, web cam tracking and more. You might even receive such vicious attacks from fellow gamers, who are on the hunt to lure you in.
Another danger is DDoS attacks which limit your gaming experience. The easy way out would be to completely secure yourself. Install a VPN client on whichever device you use for gaming, and turn on one of its servers. This encrypts your traffic that is traveling from your device into the network.
Furthermore, a Runescape VPN gives you a brand new IP address that is not tracked. Any online tracker trying to breach your walls will find a dead end. Also, many VPN services offer anti-malware features. These features block malware and ads so that you can enjoy your gaming experience.
The bane of a gamers’ existence is a high ping. A high ping occurs when your traffic takes too long to travel to and from gaming servers. This leads to extreme lagging, which in turn ruins your game. Many people find a high ping to be a nuance and work on finding solutions.
Well, the solution is this: Get a VPN service and choose a server closest to the game’s physical location. This helps because the VPN tricks the server into believing that the traffic sent is now closer in distance. Choose a region from the many regions that VPNs offer and connect to it.
Most network providers at schools and at work block online games. This means that if you ever want to enjoy an hour of gaming, you won’t be able to. The screen just gives you an error message.
This is because your network provider places a firewall that blocks the gaming website. To bypass such restrictions for Runescape, a VPN is a quick fix. A Runescape VPN connects you to a different IP address, which tricks the network into loading the game.
An internet service provider (ISP) can follow your online activity. This is to check on whether you’ve hit the bandwidth limit. With games like Runescape, it is very easy to reach the limit in a short amount of time. The open-world format and many features require a large amount of bandwidth.
When you reach this limit, your ISP can intentionally slow down your connection. Imagine losing a battle, or a quest because of such senseless and bothersome acts.
To remedy that, install and subscribe to a VPN service with Runescape. The VPN service provides you with a different IP address. Your ISP will no longer see your actual internet activity, and hence you are free from bandwidth throttling.
Best VPN for Runescape
The best VPNs to use with Runescape need to have many available servers. They also need to provide security and safety from IP throttling and cyber attacks.
Below are our top picks for VPNs that have all the features required to remain safe and reduce your lag while playing Runescape.
NordVPN offers a variety of features to improve your time while playing Runescape.
Some of these features are:
- 5000+ servers in 59 locations around the world. Each of these servers offer different IP addresses so you need not worry about detection.
- NordLynx which is the newest Wireguard protocol known for its agility and speed.
- A kill switch is available to avoid data breaches.
- Cybersec which is an anti-malware feature and also blocks ads.
- Zero-logs policy is also available.
- Next-generation encryption to keep all of your traffic safe and sound.
- Double VPN feature that reroutes your data through two VPN tunnels. This provides an extra layer of security.
- Offers P2P friendly servers to download and torrent media content.
- Good customer service is always on hand.
- 30-day money back guarantee.
Surfshark VPN meets the criteria needed for Runescape. Its features are the following:
- 1000+ servers in 60 countries.
- Strong encryption to protect your traffic.
- Zero-logs policy.
- Blocks online tracking.
- Accessible on most devices like Windows, Mac, Linux, iPhones, Android and smart TVs.
- Multi-hop connection. This provides you with a double layer of safety because it routes your data into two VPN servers.
- Friendly customer support.
CyberGhost VPN is a good option for a Runescape VPN. It offers the following:
- 6000 servers in 89 countries so you never have to worry about servers or getting detected by the game.
- One of the fastest VPNs which helps with lagging.
- Strong encryption.
- Zero log policy.
- Security against malware, viruses and ads.
- Many protocols like OpenVPN, L2TP, IKEv2 protocols.
- Automatic kill switch. This means that the kill switch automatically cuts off your internet connection if the VPN stops working. This prevents data breaches.
- Excellent customer support around the clock.
- 45-day money back guarantee.
ExpressVPN is one of the most popular VPNs in the market. They offer many features to protect your online identity and enhance your speed.
- 3000 servers in 160 regions and 94 countries. This means that you can choose whichever location you might need for your low ping.
- No-log policy.
- P2P friendly servers for torrenting.
- AES-256 encryption, no IP leaks, and DNS protection.
- A kill switch.
- Protocols like Open VPN and Lightway.
- Firefox and Chrome extensions.
- Split tunneling feature if you only want to use it with specific games like Runescape.
- Anti-malware feature to protect you from malicious malware.
- 30-day money back guarantee.
- Discounts up to 49%.
How to Use a VPN with Runescape
To install and use a VPN with Runescape, follow the instructions below:
- Pick a VPN of your choice and download its VPN client.
- Make sure to subscribe to a plan.
- Open the installed VPN client and take a look at its servers. Choose a server that is closer in proximity to your physical location.
- Pick one of the available protocols.
- Connect to the VPN.
- Log into Runescape and have fun gaming.
In general, the use of a VPN with Runescape is not prohibited. However, some suspicious activity from your VPN can cause the game to ban you.
To avoid this, do the following:
- Use the same VPN server to avoid detection.
- Switch servers only in the same country. A sudden change of countries and hence IP addresses will raise questions.
- Pick a VPN with many servers. This means that many servers are available for use and won’t have many users.
- Don’t use free VPNs as most get blacklisted by games.
VPN For Runescape – Conclusion
To fully enjoy Runescape, you need to have a low ping. Runescape offers its users many immersive options and updates. You can choose to craft your own products, trade with other players or even experience adventures. All of these options require speed and agility.
Therefore, using a VPN with Runescape is the smartest move. A VPN service can easily change your IP address and reroute your data. This data then goes through one of the VPN’s many servers. You can choose the servers, the locations and the protocols on the VPN client.
VPNs also offer you a layer of safety and protection against DDoS attacks. Malware cannot enter your device because of the VPNs anti-malware features. All of these advantages help you enjoy a smooth and fun game.
RELATED: BEST VPN FOR GAMING