WireGuard is a new VPN protocol that combines speed, agility and excellent service. A Virtual Private Network works by creating a tunnel between a private network and a public network. This safeguards your information. The transmission of protocols through this tunnel and all of its encryption is a VPN protocol.
WireGuard is one of the newest and best VPN protocols to date. It is more secure than it’s common predecessors like L2TP, PPTP, and OpenVPN. You can rest easy knowing that your private emails, communications and info are under wraps.
Advantages of using the WireGuard VPN protocol
- Security: WireGuard offers smart encryption tools to hide your information. It is extremely clever and speedy when it comes to changing your IP address. It also uses cryptography to secure the VPN tunnel. This ensures the complete safety of your device.
- Speed: The aforementioned cryptography keys that WireGuard uses, guarantee excellent speed. Unlike older VPN protocols, WireGuard encryption is much smaller in size. This means that it is much less clunky. Furthermore, it stays connected even if your internet connection stops for a bit. This is one of its best features, as your IP address is not exposed.
- Ease-of-use: WireGuard is much easier to use than other protocols. You can simply download the application on your device. This protocol is compatible on most devices including Android. Wireguard is also lighter and less vulnerable to flaws. Moreover, when compared to other VPN protocols like OpenVPN, Wireguard requires much less when it comes to coding and encryption. This makes it very quick and less prone to errors.
How does the WireGuard VPN protocol work?
WireGuard uses modern and well-vetted cryptography to ensure speed and privacy. The process is as follows:
- WireGuard chooses the list of IP addresses allowed.
- Traffic routing occurs. The accepted list of IP addresses goes through the VPN tunnel.
- Server configuration follows which means peers are configured to one interface.
- Each peer has a public-key. These keys authenticate the peers together.
- Public keys combine with the list of accepted IP addresses. Those then go through the VPN tunnel. This is Cryptokey Routing.
- WireGuard uses UDP as the Transport Layer Protocol to transmit encrypted IP packets.
- The default port for WireGuard is 51820/UDP.
- WireGuard uses HKDF for key derivation.
- It also uses PFS (perfect forward secrecy) to protect data.
WireGuard is a new VPN protocol and therefore, only a few VPN services deploy it correctly. The criteria to this, is the level of compatibility with the VPN, speed and security.
Best WireGuard VPN
The first known VPN to adopt Wireguard was NordVPN. It is one of the best Wireguard VPNs out there. Nordvpn modified the Wireguard software and created their own protocol: NordLynx.
The reason for this is that Wireguard is still a relatively new protocol. This meant that its security was not up to NordVPNs standards. Due to this mishap, NordVPN decided to alter the Wireguard software and thus, NordLynx emerged.
NordVPN offers excellent coverage with over 5,400 servers worldwide. You get access to several regions and servers with top speed. With the combination of NordVPN and Wireguard, your speed and privacy are both top-notch.
Wireguard makes the already speedy Nord VPN faster. It guarantees excellent internet connection. You need not worry about your internet speed while streaming, gaming or browsing. Therefore this makes NordVPN one of the best VPNs for Wireguard.
With NordLynx in place, your connection is also secure. No one can breach the double layered protection Nord VPN presents. It uses AES 256-bit encryption and a double NAT system. The double NAT system creates two local interfaces for each and every user. This means, your info goes through two different networks and has a new IP address each time.
Nord VPN prevents DNS leaks and doesn’t keep any logs. It also features a kill switch so you can turn it off to deny any leaks. NordVPN is available on a variety of devices including Windows, Linux, Mac, and Apple. It also offers excellent prices starting at $3.71.
NordVPN usually runs on its OpenVPN protocol. However, to switch to Nordlynx all you have to do is follow these steps:
- Download the NordVPN application.
- Install Wireguard.
- Open Wireguard and search for ‘nordvpn set technology NordLynx’.
- Enter ‘nordvpn c’ to connect.
Cyberghost is another VPN perfectly suitable for Wireguard. It is very easy to use and is very accessible. Cyberghost can currently support Wireguard for Linux users and the IOS app. To change your protocol on the IOS app, all you have to do is select Wireguard in the protocol section. On Linux, however, you have to manually write in ‘Wireguard’ in the Cyberghost command-line.
Cyberghost guarantees your safety by offering a RESTful API to protect your privacy. Furthermore, Cyberghost does not keep any logs whatsoever. Therefore, your traffic is never recorded or tracked.
Cyberghost also uses a daemon, which is a background-run computer program. A daemon acts as a middle-man between your connection and Wireguard. This computer programs assigns different IP addresses during your session. It also deletes them every few minutes. Subsequently, there is no possible way to breach your connection or find out your real IP address.
This VPN is one of the best VPNs for Wireguard because of its excellent speed. You can feel free to try it while streaming or gaming. The one thing you will notice is the efficiency and speed of this VPN.
Wireguard works on increasing its original speed and doesn’t cause any lagging. Cyberghost includes a kill switch, ad blockers and malware trackers. Get Cyberghost today with a 45-days money back guarantee!
Surfshark is another VPN option for WireGuard. It provides reliability and speed which suits the WireGuard protocol. Surfshark offers over 1000+ servers in 61 countries. High-traffic servers are easily accessible and very fast.
This means that Surfshark is the perfect WireGuard VPN. Surfshark VPN uses AES 256-bit encryption. Moreover, this VPN offers a kill switch to keep your IP address under wraps. Surfshark also supplies an Ad blocker with its service. Furthermore, this VPN has a malware tracker. You can rest assured that your device and your network are both safe from any attacks.
Surfshark is one of the best VPNs for WireGuard with its compatibility with all major operating systems. You can get Surfshark on Windows, Mac, Apple and Android.
ExpressVPN is one of the fastest VPN services out there. It provides excellent speed and security. Furthermore, the Lightway Protocol has made ExpressVPN even better.
Usually connecting to a VPN might slow you down. This is because of all of your traffic has to be encrypted and passed through the VPN tunnel. However, with the Lightway protocol, this isn’t an issue.
ExpressVPN provides over 3000 servers in 94 countries. Moreover, it offers excellent streaming speed. You can use this VPN to bypass geo-restrictions.
This VPN can unblock most streaming services. It also offers 5 simultaneous device connections. Furthermore, ExpressVPN is compatible with Linux, Apple, Android, Windows and most other devices. This VPN includes a 30-day money back guarantee and continuous discounts.
WireGuard VPN – Conclusion
WireGuard VPN protocol is a new VPN protocol designed to speed up your connection. It also protects your privacy and online identity. WireGuard needs a good and reliable VPN to work. Thus, use one of the aforementioned VPNs like NordVPN, CyberghostVPN, Surfshark VPN and ExpressVPN.
The WireGuard protocol includes a less complex encryption method without compromising security. This ensures high streaming and gaming speed along with security. Connect to your VPN and select the WireGuard protocol.
This protocol is now available on many devices including Linux, Apple, Windows, Android and others. Make sure that your selected VPN is also compatible with these devices. You can then select the protocol and connect to enjoy excellent speed, stability and protection.