Quick Guide: Best WebOS VPN For LG Smart TV
The best LG Smart TV VPN can help you switch WebOS countries, unblock streaming apps and services available in other regions.
LG Smart TVs are among the most popular brands alongside Sony and Samsung. It runs on an operating system called “WebOS” which the user interface you see when you turn your LG Smart TV on. However, keep in mind that the WebOS store is regional. Which means every region has it’s own unique set of apps available for users to download.
That said, you can use a VPN to change your WebOS region. If you live outside the US and want to download an app like Hulu which is only available in the US, a VPN allows you to do just that.
In this article I will guide you through the process of selecting the best WebOS VPN and configuring the VPN on your LG Smart TV.
- Why Do I Need a VPN For LG Smart TV?
- Best WebOS VPN For LG Smart TV
- Are VPNs Supported on LG Smart TVs?
- Setup Guide For WebOS VPN
- How To Configure WebOS Smart DNS – VPN Alternative
- How To Change Regions Via WebOS VPN
- Best WebOS VPN – Bottom Line
Why Do I Need a VPN For LG Smart TV?
As I mentioned earlier, a VPN allows you to change regions on your LG Smart TV. In turn that will give you access to numerous apps and services you’ve been missing out on.
VPNs are famously the most effective solution for unblocking geo-restricted content. In fact, it’s one of their main selling points. The fact of the matter is, with a WebOS VPN you’ll never run out of things to stream. You can unblock and stream from apps like Netflix, Fubo TV, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer and many more.
Best WebOS VPN For LG Smart TV
Choosing the best WebOS VPN could be a bit tricky. First you need to make sure your VPN provider offers a complementary Smart DNS service as well. Having both the VPN and Smart DNS options gives you more flexibility in choosing which method to use for setting up your LG Smart TV VPN.
I’ve tested all 4 VPNs in this list with an LG Smart TV and can confirm they do work as intended. I was able to change my WebOS region to US, download Hulu, Amazon Prime Video and other US exclusive apps and unblock streaming in HD quality. That’s really all you need in a WebOS VPN.
- Change your region and get more apps with an easy-to-use WebOS VPN
- Fastest bandwidth speed among top tier VPNs
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Unblocks all streaming services and sports leagues including NBA League Pass and NFL Game Pass
- Compatible with most operating systems including Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Chrome, Linux, Routers, Xbox
- Connect up-to 7 devices simultaneously
- 24/7 live chat support
- 45-Day Money-Back guarantee
Another excellent choice, CyberGhost is a fast and reliable WebOS VPN. With high speed servers in over 80 countries worldwide, there’s always a new region to conquer with CyberGhostVPN enabled. Unblock and stream services around the world like BBC iPlayer, Crunchyroll, Tenplay and many more.
CyberGhostVPN uses AES-256 bit encryption and the latest VPN security protocols to ensure that users are kept safe and anonymous while streaming, gaming, downloading torrents, and casually browsing the web.
A 24/7 support team is available via live chat to help you out with any technical issues that might come up. In addition to that you can check out their extensive guides and tutorials section, particularly how to set up a WebOS VPN router.
- High speed servers to unblock streaming services on your LG Smart TV
- 1970 servers in the US and 5800 worldwide
- SmartPlay feature guarantees fastest connection available
- You can use up-to 6 devices simultaneously
- Works flawlessly with Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS, NBC, and more
- Apps for all devices (iOS, Android, PC, Mac, Linux, Routers)
- Browser extensions for Chrome, Opera, and Firefox
- Split tunneling feature
- Unlimited bandwidth
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-Day Money-Back guarantee
NordVPN is the recommended choice for best WebOS VPN. It’s high speed servers are perfect for streaming in 4K/HD quality. NordVPN can unblock any streaming service anywhere in the world. You can install NordVPN on your router, use a PC as a virtual NordVPN router, or use their reliable Smart DNS service.
You can use NordVPN’s high speed servers for all your streaming, gaming, torrenting, and browsing needs. The service guarantees full anonymity as long as you’re connected to a NordVPN server. Keep in mind that NordVPN is located in Panama and does not adhere to any international data retention laws. Which means they can stay true to their no-logs policy.
Furthermore you benefit from the encryption and advanced security protocols that Nord uses top secure their connections and servers. All in all, NordVPN is a complete package, now wonder it’s the most recommended WebOS VPN this year.
- Ultra fast servers and unlimited bandwidth so you can watch streaming content on your WebOS device in full HD
- Use the MediaStreamer feature (Smart DNS) for an easier setup process
- Connect up-to 5 devices simultaneously
- 3000+ servers worldwide that can unblock anything
- AES-256 bit encryption
- 30-Day Money-Back guarantee
- Compatible with all operating systems
A premium VPN that is worth every penny. You can use ExpressVPN to change your WebOS region and unblock access to streaming services all over the world. Additionally, the MediaStreamer(Smart DNS) feature is among the best Smart DNS services in the business. Fast, stable, and available in 94+ countries, ExpressVPN is an excellent tool for an LG Smart TV.
That’s not all you can use ExpressVPN for though, it’s also a great VPN for gaming as it can significantly reduce your ping in some cases. Anonymous torrenting is another area in which ExpressVPN excels. You can download any torrent you want with unlimited bandwidth and a cloak of anonymity.
ExpressVPN does not have a free trial but they do offer a full refund within 30 days of your purchase. It’s completely risk-free so give it a shot.
Private Internet Access
- Fast and reliable connection so you can unblock WebOS apps and watch freely
- 20,222+ servers worldwide
- Full support for anonymous torrenting
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Unblock any website anywhere
- Compatible with PC, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, and more
- 30-Day Money-Back guarantee
PIA is a cheap yet powerful WebOS VPN. You can use PIA to unblock any streaming app or service you want. You can also install the VPN on your router and protect all your devices at once. PIA offers unlimited bandwidth and access to the largest VPN server network in existence. With over 20,000 servers worldwide, there’s nothing PIA can’t unblock.
PIA fully supports downloading torrents via torrent clients like Bittorrent, Utorrent and many others. All the while keeping your identity safely locked away from any prying eyes. Furthermore, advanced features like split tunneling, kill switch, and double encryption are just the icing on the cake.
You can subscribe to PIA, set it up on your LG Smart TV, test it out yourself and then if you’re not satisfied you can ask for a full refund.
Are VPNs Supported on LG Smart TVs?
VPNs are not directly supported on WebOS devices including LG Smart TVs. Which means you can’t simply download a VPN app directly on your LG TV, install and run it. Instead you’ll need to either set up the VPN on your Router or use a PC for network connection sharing. Both methods are practically the same, network sharing turns your PC into a virtual router which you can then install a VPN on.
I’ll show you how to set up both methods in the sections below, don’t worry it’s very easy.
Setup Guide For WebOS VPN
As discussed, there are 2 ways to install a WebOS VPN. If you have a compatible router, go with the VPN router method, it’s pretty straight forward. Otherwise you’ll need to use your PC as a virtual router.
Below you’ll find all the details you need to set up your WebOS VPN.
VPN Router Method
Instead of setting up a VPN on each of your devices individually, you can set up the VPN on your router. Which means that all devices connected to that router will automatically use the VPN connection. It’s certainly more convenient if you use multiple devices for streaming, gaming, and browsing.
Keep in mind that not all router support VPN connections though. Your router should have a built-in VPN client in order for this method to work. DDWRT routers are the most popular, but not the only ones you can set up a VPN on. You can check if you have a VPN client in your router settings.
What to do if your router doesn’t support VPN connections? There’s a workaround for that too. You’re not alone, many ISPs use their own routers and those have mostly hardcoded settings you can’t really do much with. What you can do is buy a cheap DDWRT router, set up the VPN on your new router and then connect it to your ISP issued router.
You can follow CyberGhostVPN’s guide on how to set up your VPN router, the process is identical for other VPN providers as well.
PC Network Connection Sharing Method
In this method we will configure a Windows 10 PC to act as a virtual router. Keep in mind that you need a Windows 10 PC since older Windows versions did not have the network sharing feature.
Follow this guide to configure network connection sharing on a Windows 10 PC:
- Open the Start menu, type settings and click on the “Settings” app.
- Select “Network & Internet“.
- Then “Mobile Hotspot“.
- Switch “Mobile Hotspot” on.
- Go back to “Network & Internet“.
- Select “Change adapter options“.
- Right click on the NordVPN Tap Adapter. (Other VPN providers will have a different name for the adapter.
- Select “Properties“.
- Go to the “Sharing” tab.
- Check the box for “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection“.
- Click “Ok”.
- You should see a new connection available on your LG TV, connect to it.
- Congratulations, you have configured a WebOS VPN!
How To Configure WebOS Smart DNS – VPN Alternative
Smart DNS is an excellent alternative for devices that don’t natively support VPNs. It works in a very similar way and you can use it to unblock streaming services, apps, and change your WebOS region.
Follow this guide to set up Smart DNS on your LG Smart TV:
- Press the “Home” button on your LG remote control.
- Select the “Settings” tab on your top right.
- Select “Network” and then “Wi-Fi Connection“.
- Click on “Advanced Settings” then “Edit“.
- Input the DNS address provided by your VPN, You can find the DNS address in your VPN account settings.
- Finally click “Connect” .
- Restart your LG TV after the internet connection test is completed.
By following this guide you’ll be able to configure Smart DNS on your LG Smart TV. However, you still need to change WebOS regions to get access to apps like Hulu, Netflix, and others. I’ll guide you through changing regions in the section below.
How To Change Regions Via WebOS VPN
In order to get access to regionally blocked content, streaming apps, and websites, you’ll need to switch your WebOS region to one that has the apps you want.
Follow this guide to change your WebOS region:
- Click the “Settings” button on your LG remote control.
- Select “General“.
- Then “Location“.
- Click on “LG Services Country“.
- Uncheck the “Set Automatically” option.
- Choose the country you want to switch to from the menu.
- Finally hit “Yes” and restart your LG Smart TV.
The US has the best selection of apps, if you don’t know which country to pick, select the US, Canada or UK.
Best WebOS VPN – Bottom Line
In order to unblock the full potential of your LG Smart TV and get regionally restricted streaming content from anywhere in the world, you’re going to need a decent VPN.
A WebOS VPN will allow you to change regions, download, install, and stream apps that are not currently available in your local region. Apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max and numerous other streaming services will all be at your disposal.
Although LG Smart TVs don’t directly support VPN connections, you can use the VPN router or PC connections sharing methods to set it up. Additionally you can configure Smart DNS directly on your LG Smart TV and get the same results.