Quick Guide: NBA 2K21 Lag Fix
These VPNs can help reduce lag/latency in NBA 2K21 online modes. You can play NBA 2K21 MyPark, Pro-Am, MyTeam, Play Now, and Blacktop without any ISP throttling or disconnections.
NBA 2K21 is by far the most popular and most played sports game this year. That’s not new though, every year NBA 2K games rank at the very top of simulated sports video games.
This year’s edition features upgrades in all modes, most notably in MyPark mode which is now called “The City” with a huge open world for players to run around and explore. NBA 2K21 is also introducing for the first time the option to play MyCareer mode in the WNBA. In addition to the return of an improved MyTeam, and Pro-Am modes.
That said, some issues have been plaguing NBA 2K games for years and 2K21 is unfortunately no different. A quick search online will show you a considerable number of complaints from players suffering from lag spikes in-game. Making 3 point shots in NBA 2K21 is hard enough without the game lagging while you shoot your shot. It takes you out of your rhythm and simply makes the game unplayable.
NBA 2K21 lag spikes occur on all PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and PC. No matter what platform you play on, NBA 2K21 connectivity issues are a headache.
However there’s a solution for NBA 2K21 lag spikes, all you need is a good gaming VPN. A gaming VPN can stabilize the connection between you and 2K’s servers which lowers your ping and consequently eliminates any lag you’re experiencing.
- How Does a VPN Fix NBA 2K21 Lag?
- NBA 2K21 Lag Fix PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S
- NBA 2K21 Lag Fix PC
- Best VPN Server Locations for NBA 2K21
- Best VPN for NBA 2K21 Lag
- Additional Benefits of Using a Gaming VPN for NBA 2K21
- NBA 2K21 Lag Fix – Conclusion
How Does a VPN Fix NBA 2K21 Lag?
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a network security and encryption tool used to protect data from intruders, ISPs, or any third party. As it pertains to gaming, a VPN can help reduce lag on NBA 2K21 and other games as well.
Once you connect to a VPN server, it creates an encrypted tunnel to route your traffic through without any outside interference. This tunnel provides a stable infrastructure for your connection to 2K servers which in turn should significantly impact packet loss and lag. Less packet loss means less lag and that will undoubtedly lead to more green release 3’s.
Your internet connection is certainly the most important factor when considering upgrades to reduce lag and ultimately get a better experience out of the game.
NBA 2K21 Lag Fix PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S
2K21 is extremely popular on consoles. In fact, the PlayStation and Xbox 2K communities make up about 90% of total 2K21 players. As a result, you’ll find that most console servers are almost always full. Which is great for matchmaking and finding teammates to run with. However, it also creates a huge lag problem for some player. This happens every year and 2K appears to be incapable of fixing their damn servers.
That said, there’s a lag fix for consoles, don’t worry. Gaming consoles don’t support VPN applications, so we need another way around this restriction.
There are 2 methods for fixing NBA 2K21 lag on consoles:
- VPN Router: If you have a router with a built-in VPN client, you can configure any one of the recommended 2K21 VPNs on your router. A VPN router is the best method to fix NBA 2K21 lag on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S.
- Smart DNS: If option 1 is not possible or just too technical for your taster, no worries there’s a simpler way. All 4 recommended VPNs offer a free Smart DNS service alongside their VPN subscriptions. You can easily configure Smart DNS on your console. All you have to do is go into your network settings and change the DNS IP address. Furthermore you can find a step-by-step guide in the tutorials section of the VPN provider’s website.
NBA 2K21 Lag Fix PC
Although the PC community has far less players than consoles, lag is still a pretty big issue for a lot of 2K21 PC players. Largely because 2K doesn’t pay as much attention to PC compared to consoles.
Fortunately though, since PCs do support native VPN applications and connections, the fix is easy. You can download and install the VPN app on your PC, log in, connect to any server you like, and run the game. That’s all there is to it.
Test your ping time on speedtest.net before going into the game to make sure everything is working as intended. In order to get the best possible gaming experience out of 2K21, your ping should be below 100ms or at least in that range.
Best VPN Server Locations for NBA 2K21
In order to get the best possible performance out of your VPN, you’ll need to pick a server location close to you and 2K’s servers as well. That won’t be difficult as most VPN providers have thousands of locations for you to choose from.
One of the biggest contributors to latency and lag is the distance between end points, you and the game server. The longer the distance the more data packets will be lost along the way. Unless of course you’re using a VPN which greatly reduces that risk via the secure tunnel I mentioned earlier.
NBA 2K21 has servers in the Europe, Asia, and the US. For example, if you live in Germany, you’ll get the best performance by connecting to a European VPN server. The same goes for other regions.
Best VPN for NBA 2K21 Lag
As a rule of thumb, don’t waste your time on free VPNs, they’re free for a reason. In order to get the optimal performance out of your game, you’re going to need a premium VPN specifically optimized for gaming.
The 4 VPNs I’ve selected for NBA 2K21 share some unique features that can significantly reduce lag on PC, PlayStation, and Xbox. Equipped with high speed servers and secure encryption, these VPNs are the cream of the crop.
VPN providers offer a number of different subscription packages. Choose the plan that best suites your needs. Keep in mind, long term plans offer the most savings.
- High speed servers to play NBA 2K21 without any lag
- 1970 servers in the US and 5800 worldwide
- SmartPlay feature guarantees fastest connection available
- You can use up-to 6 devices simultaneously
- Unblocks all streaming services and sports leagues including NBA League Pass and NFL Game Pass
- Apps for all devices (iOS, Android, PC, Mac, Linux, Routers)
- Browser extensions for Chrome, Opera, and Firefox
- Split tunneling feature
- Unlimited bandwidth
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-Day Money-Back guarantee
NordVPN is my preferred choice for gaming and specifically as an NBA 2K21 lag fix. It offers access to a network of over 5800 servers around the world. All servers are fully optimized for high speed gaming requirements. Additionally, NordVPN can bypass your ISP’s bandwidth throttling.
The Panama based company is among the most reputable providers when it comes to user privacy and network security. They have a strict zero-logs policy to ensure anonymity and a slew of advanced security features as well. Features like the kill switch, and double VPN provide an additional layer of security.
All NordVPN subscription plans include a 30-Day Money-Back guarantee so you can test the product yourself and assess it’s reliability without taking any real risk.
- Fix NBA 2K21 Lag and play in any region
- Fastest bandwidth speed among top tier VPNs
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Works flawlessly with Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS, NBC, and more
- Compatible with most operating systems including Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Chrome, Linux, Routers, Xbox
- Connect up-to 7 devices simultaneously
- 24/7 live chat support
- 45-Day Money-Back guarantee
CyberGhost is a reliable gaming VPN offered at a relatively cheap price. It can fix lag issues on NBA 2K21 while protecting your account and network. The app is available to download on most operating systems. You can also configure it on your router quite easily.
The service provides 24/7 live chat support to help with setup or other technical issues. That said, if you follow the guides and tutorials CyberGhost has made available on their website, you probably won’t need to contact support at all.
You can use CyberGhost to unblock geo-restricted content as well. It allows you to stream HD quality while ensuring you remain anonymous and protected online.
CyberGhost offers a 45-Day Money-Back guarantee in case you change your mind.
- Ultra fast servers and unlimited bandwidth so you can play NBA 2K21 with no lag whatsoever
- Use the MediaStreamer feature (Smart DNS) directly on your PlayStation or Xbox console
- Connect up-to 5 devices simultaneously
- 3000+ servers worldwide that can unblock anything
- AES-256 bit encryption
- 30-Day Money-Back guarantee
- Compatible with all operating systems
ExpressVPN is another great choice that can help you reduce NBA 2K21 lag. You can also use ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer (Smart DNS) directly on your PS4, PS5, Xbox One, or Xbox Series X console.
Although a bit more expensive than it’s competitors, ExpressVPN delivers high speed and low latency. Perfect for gaming, streaming, and anonymous torrenting.
You can use ExpressVPN on 5 devices simultaneously and with unlimited bandwidth. The company provides a 24/7 live chat support service for any technical or billing related issues. Furthermore you get a 30-Day Money-Back guarantee so there’s nothing to lose in this endeavor.
Private Internet Access
- Fast and reliable connection so you can play NBA 2K21 on any platform
- 20,222+ servers worldwide
- Full support for anonymous torrenting
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Unblock any website anywhere
- Compatible with PC, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, and more
- 30-Day Money-Back guarantee
PIA is a well known US based VPN provider with years of experience under their belt. The service offers one of the largest networks with over 20,222 servers worldwide.
The service supports P2P applications and ensures that users will remain anonymous while downloading torrents. PIA does not keep any logs pertaining to user activity.
Private Internet Access allows you to unblock streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, ESPN+, Disney+ and many others as well.
If you change your mind or the product isn’t as good as advertised, you can ask for a full refund within 30 days of your purchase.
Additional Benefits of Using a Gaming VPN for NBA 2K21
Reducing lag is not the only beneficial use of a VPN, there’s a lot of added value in the protection and flexibility it provides. The following are only a few features and perks that come with a gaming VPN for NBA 2K21.
- Playing in different regions: Although NBA 2K21 is popular pretty much everywhere, I and many others find it more fun to play on US servers sometimes. You might want to team up with players from your country only, you can do that by connecting to a VPN server in the country of your choosing. It allows players to have flexibility in choosing where to play and who to team up with.
- DDoS attack prevention: Distributed-denial-of-service attacks are very common in NBA2K21. It’s easy to do with many ready-made DDoS attack software packages available online. All the sore loser has to do is run the software and you’ll get thrown out of the game and handed and L due to the loss of connection caused by DDoS attack. Since a VPN hides your IP address, attackers won’t be able to target your network.
NBA 2K21 Lag Fix – Conclusion
Lagging on NBA 2K21 is a widespread issue and it makes the game unbearable. Fortunately though, there’s an easy fix for the problem. A gaming VPN can overcome 2K’s legendary connectivity issues and deliver a stable connection so you can enjoy the game without interruptions.
Follow this quick guide to fix NBA 2K21 lag issues on PC or Consoles:
- Subscribe to a recommended NBA 2K21 VPN.
- Download the VPN app on your PC or install the VPN on your router so that it covers your PlayStation/Xbox console or use the Smart DNS feature instead.
- Connect to a VPN server in the region of your choice.
- That’s it, run the game, get into your favorite mode and start swishing.