Hulu is the only subscription-based streaming channel that offers new episodes of currently broadcast programs within 24 hours of broadcasting, which is critical in the cord-cutting community.
It’s no surprise that Hulu is such a powerhouse in the cord-cutting movement, with award-winning series like The Handmaid’s Tale, Ramy, Castle Rock, and a live TV option.
Hulu is one of the most popular streaming video providers accessible, second only to Netflix. Hulu was founded by three major US television networks: Fox, ABC, and NBC. It features programming from Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, FX, SyFy, PBS, Style, and Cartoon Network, among others. The majority of TV programs are available on Hulu the day after they premiere, which is far faster than Netflix.
Quick Guide: Working Hulu VPNs
- NordVPN: Our #1 choice for Hulu. With the fastest bandwidth speed we’ve tested so far, this VPN can unblock any streaming service from anywhere and in HD/4K quality. No-logs policy and 30-day money-back guarantee included.
- Surfshark: Excellent second choice for streaming geo-blocked content. It’s a bit cheaper than some of it’s competitors and you also get to connect all your devices with one account, no limits. 30-day money-back guarantee included.
- CyberGhostVPN: Best value for money VPN available. High speed servers optimized for HD streaming. The app is easy-to-use and comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
- ExpressVPN: Top quality VPN provider with blazing fast speed and military-grade encryption. Although a bit more expensive than the 3 providers above it, ExpressVPN delivers in terms of speed, reliability, and security. 30-day money-back guarantee included.
Is your Hulu VPN not working?
A virtual private network, or VPN, encrypts all internet data going to and from your computer and routes it through a VPN server at a location of your choosing. This will fool the geo-restricted website allowing you to have access to it. But this is not the case for Hulu. The VPN block on Hulu is significantly more sophisticated than Netflix’s firewall.
The streaming service actively prohibits the use of VPNs, proxies, and other tools that alter your IP address. It makes every effort to prohibit you from viewing Hulu outside of the United States. Only a handful of VPNs can get over Hulu’s VPN restrictions.
Hulu, like many other online video streaming providers, has begun to ban connections from well-known VPN servers. On these servers, dozens, if not hundreds, of users share IP addresses at the same time. This provides some anonymity while yet making it obvious what’s going on. When using a standard or a free VPN, you’ll get a message stating the following:
“Based on your IP address, we noticed you are trying to access Hulu through an anonymous proxy tool. Hulu is not currently available outside the US. If you’re in the US, you’ll need to disable your anonymizer to access videos on Hulu.”
As a result, any VPN service will not suffice. Hulu’s tight firewall requirements are insurmountable for most VPN providers. The best VPNs for Hulu usually include a few servers that can get over the proxy restriction. So, if your VPN is not succeeding in unblocking this service, you should choose one of the VPNs I’m going to mention below.
Why does Hulu block VPN services?
With cord-cutting choices like Netflix and Hulu becoming increasingly popular, cable television is on its way out. These services, on the other hand, frequently restrict and geo-block content, requiring users to use a VPN. Consequently, these services are targeting VPN users.
So, why does Hulu block VPNs?
Licensed television series and films from content providers are available through streaming platforms such as Hulu. Typically, these licensing agreements include terms that restrict access to their material to specified areas or countries.
For example, depending on where the user connects from, there are several versions of Netflix that offer distinct video collections. A show that is solely licensed in the United States will not be available to view in China, India, or the United Kingdom.
How does Hulu block VPN services?
Hulu blocks VPNs in a variety of methods. Some services use standard techniques such as IP or port blocking, while others use a mixture of both.
- IP blocking: The most prevalent approach for restricting access to prohibited content is IP blocking. Streaming services compile lists of VPN server IP addresses and blacklist them, essentially banning connections from that address. While the IP addresses of the majority of VPN providers are restricted, there is still a chance that your VPN provider has servers that operate with your desired service. Before you buy a VPN subscription, you need to verify that it works with the streaming service you’re trying to unblock.
- Port blocking: The second approach commonly used by streaming providers is port blocking. This is accomplished by using a firewall to restrict the ports that VPN protocols usually use. 1194 (UDP), 1723 (TCP), 500 (UDP), 4500 (UDP), 1701 (UDP), and a few more are among these ports.
Best Hulu VPN that still works
A Hulu VPN should possess these criteria:
- Can unblock Hulu from anywhere
- High speed servers in the US
- Reliable customer support
- Consistent connection
Below, I’m going to give you an overview of the best Hulu VPNs, as well as the privacy and unblocking capabilities they provide.
- High speed servers to watch Hulu in full HD without buffering
- Fastest bandwidth speed among top tier VPNs
- 1970 servers in the US and 5800 worldwide
- SmartPlay feature guarantees fastest connection available
- You can use up-to 6 devices simultaneously
- Unblocks all streaming services and sports leagues including NBA League Pass and NFL Game Pass
- Apps for all devices (iOS, Android, PC, Mac, Linux, Routers)
- Browser extensions for Chrome, Opera, and Firefox
- Split tunneling feature
- Unlimited bandwidth
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-Day Money-Back guarantee
NordVPN is the best virtual private network that allows you to unblock Hulu. High speeds, top-notch security features, and a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee are all available. NordVPN also includes its proprietary SmartPlay DNS, which unblocks a wide range of multimedia providers, including Hulu.
Consult the official NordVPN knowledge base or contact the live chat support for assistance in determining which servers to connect to. Because this is one of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested, you can expect a smooth streaming experience.
Our top recommendation for Hulu is NordVPN. It features strong security protections, as well as the ability to utilize up to six devices at once from a single account.
- Fast and reliable connection so you can unblock Hulu without buffering
- 3200+ servers in 65 countries
- All apps are user-friendly
- 5 devices per account
- Smart DNS feature available
- High-speed connections (up to 10 Gbps)
- Compatible with PC, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, and routers
- 30-Day Money-Back guarantee
SurfShark is a remarkable cord-cutting VPN that allows you to watch Hulu and other streaming services from anywhere in the world. Additionally, it is a trustworthy, low-cost VPN that works well with Hulu and other services. You never have to worry about exceeding the device connection limit if you share your VPN with friends or family. The only provider on our list that allows for an infinite number of simultaneous connections is SurfShark. Among other video streaming services, it unblocks Netflix US and UK, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
SurfShark is a company based in the British Virgin Islands. Users get access to live chat help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There is no data retention, no logs are kept, and P2P file-sharing is allowed. On both mobile and desktop applications, kill switches are available. Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Linux apps are all available as well.
SurfShark is the best budget VPN, sign up for SurfShark with as many devices as you want and start unblocking Hulu with ease. It has a high level of security and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Bypass Hulu geo-blocks with an easy one-click process
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Works flawlessly with Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS, NBC, and more
- Compatible with most operating systems including Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Chrome, Linux, Routers, Xbox
- Connect up-to 7 devices simultaneously
- 24/7 live chat support
- 45-Day Money-Back guarantee
The unblocking capabilities of CyberGhost have improved recently. It may now access a variety of streaming services, including Hulu. The desktop app even lets you select from a list of streaming servers depending on which streaming services it can unblock, rather than just geography.
- Ultra fast servers and unlimited bandwidth so you can watch Hulu live in HD quality
- Use the MediaStreamer feature (Smart DNS) to stream on any device
- Connect up-to 5 devices simultaneously
- 3000+ servers worldwide that can unblock anything
- AES-256 bit encryption
- 30-Day Money-Back guarantee
- Compatible with all operating systems
ExpressVPN always has a few servers that work with Hulu and offers a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. Simply go to their website and use the live chat feature to question a customer service representative. Every day of the year, live help is available 24/7. ExpressVPN’s connections are highly reliable, and the available bandwidth is more than adequate to stream Hulu in high-definition video. There are many server sites in the United States, all optimized for streaming without buffering.
All ExpressVPN plans include MediaStreamer, a smart DNS proxy service that is activated automatically whenever you connect to a VPN server but can also be used independently to unblock streaming services. ExpressVPN unblocks nearly every other streaming service we’ve tried, including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, SlingTV, Amazon Prime, and a slew of others.
Thanks to its excellent security features and consistently high speeds, it’s ideal for Hulu and comparable services. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Can I use a Hulu VPN for Live TV?
Hulu features a live TV option, however, it is not available outside of the United States, and most VPNs can’t unblock it. If you have the Hulu Plus Live TV plan, you can watch live sports. This $55 monthly subscription adds live television channels to the basic on-demand streaming package. Fox Sports, ESPN, and NBCSN are just a few of the sports channels available.
If you’re not in the United States, you can watch live TV on Hulu the same way you watch on-demand content: connect to a VPN server in the United States. Just make sure your VPN still works with this particular streaming service.
Why does Hulu block VPN Services – Wrap Up
This article covers all you need to know about Hulu, including its geo-restrictions and VPN prohibitions, as well as the best VPNs for Hulu that still work today. You learned about the value of the VPNs described above in comparison to free VPNs, as well as their capacity to pass through firewalls. In addition, I’ve recommended several VPNs that work well with Hulu. If you didn’t have any clue why your VPN isn’t working right, you now have a complete understanding of why and how Hulu is blocking your VPN.
Hulu is also the only subscription-based streaming service that delivers new episodes of currently showing series within 24 hours after their first broadcast. With a suitable VPN for Hulu, you can watch a lot more movies and TV shows.