First off, Kodi is a prizewinning and free open-source media player application that was launched by XBMC Foundation almost two decades ago. The project was abandoned by Microsoft and then picked up by their current XBMC team.
The XBMC team is a non-profit that has its own platform and fans now. The common misconception about Kodi is that it is illegal. That is completely false; you can download Kodi on any and every device with no legal issues. However, Kodi has third-party addons that might contain illegal and stolen content. This is because Kodi does not control the links you can scrap with these addons and Kodi builds.
Kodi is also customizable and is available on all platforms including Linux, iOS, OS X, Windows, Ubuntu, Android, BSD, Freescale IMX6, and Raspberry Pi. With Kodi you can stream as much media content as you want. From TV shows, music, podcasts, live TV and sports, Kodi has it all.
If you have just bought a brand new Amazon Fire TV, you might want to put it to good use. To do so, you must have available streaming content that you don’t end up paying hundreds of dollars for. Fortunately, Kodi is the perfect solution where you can use your Amazon Firestick and enjoy quality media content. To do so, you have to jailbreak Firestick with Kodi.
What is Jailbreaking?
Jailbreaking is the action of modifying your device whether it’s your phone or any other device, to remove restrictions. These restrictions usually come from the original manufacturer. Removing these restrictions allows users to install unauthorized software and hence enjoy a wider selection of media.
Is Jailbreaking Firestick Legal?
The action of jailbreaking is not illegal; your phone is your property and hence you can modify it as long as you’re not using that to cause harm. And since Kodi is also not illegal, then jailbreaking your Firestick TV is not against the law.
However, since Kodi has a variety of third-party add-ons, you might face some copyright infringement issues. This is because media content is sometimes limited to certain copyright holders that geo-restrict that media. To avoid tangling yourself in legal issues, you can simply hide your IP address using a VPN.
In this guide, we will use NordVPN as an example of a popular VPN service to hide your IP. Using a VPN will help you hide your IP address and hence, your ISP cannot track your online activity or send you copyright infringement letters. Hiding your location allows you to jailbreak Firestick and use Kodi and its countless add-ons with no trouble.
Steps to Jailbreaking Firestick TV with Kodi
The method of jailbreaking Firestick with Kodi is a three-step process that starts with:
Choosing a VPN and connecting to it
You might wonder why this is step one. The reason for this is that as long as you’re online, your internet service provider can view your activity. That is something he can do within his ISP rights. If your ISP notices that you are downloading illegal media content with Kodi, he can report you or send you a warning letter for copyright.
Hence, downloading a VPN service is the important first step in the process. It also gives you access to geo-restricted content and media from all around the globe.
You can choose a VPN service that works with Firestick, download it and use it to change your IP address.
For a more detailed process, read the following steps:
- Choose your suitable and reliable VPN service and go to its official website.
- Make an account with a username and password. Select your subscription plan and enter your payment details.
- Launch your Firestick TV.
- In your home screen, select the ‘Apps’ option and click on it.
- Go to Categories Utility.
- Click on the VPN client available there and then ‘Get’ to download it onto your device.
- Double click on it so that you can launch it on Firestick TV.
- Enter your log-in info that you acquired on the VPN website.
- Choose any of the servers and click connect. This changes your IP address and prohibits your ISP from tracking you.
The second step is to actually jailbreak Firestick and make sure it works with Kodi. To do so, you have to install the ES file explorer on Firestick.
Then, you can simply use the ES file to download Kodi on your Firestick TV.
How to Install the ES file on Firestick?
- Launch your Firestick TV and go to Settings. Then, click on ‘Developer Options’.
- Turn on, ‘Allow apps from unknown sources’
- Go to the search box, and type in ‘ES Explorer.’
- Select the ES Explorer app and hit download. You have now downloaded the ES explorer on Firestick TV.
Installing Kodi through the ES Explorer App
- Go to the ES Explorer menu and select Tools à File Manager.
- In the bottom menu, click on ‘+ new’.
- In the Path option, type in ‘https://bit.ly/2NDdFzm’
- Type in ‘Kodi’ in the Name section and click ‘Download now’.
- Wait for the download to end. You can check its process in the Download Manager section.
- Once the download is done, you can click on the file and install it on your Firestick TV.
- Go back to the Firestick home screen and launch Kodi.
The final step is to know how to download the aforementioned add-ons to your Kodi application.
To do so:
- Open your Kodi application and select the ‘Addons’ button.
- Select Video Add-ons Package Installer.
- Next, click on ‘Install from Repository’ then Kodi Add-on Repository then Video Addons.
- Select whichever add-on you might need and download it.
- Wait for the download to end then go back to the Kodi home screen.
- Click on ‘Add-ons’ again and select the one you downloaded.
- You can now use this add-on to stream all the media content you want.
Conclusion – Jailbreaking Firestick TV
Jailbreaking is a modifying process that allows you to access more and better features on your device. Jailbreaking your Amazon TV or Firestick is a three-step process that helps you install Kodi. All you have to do is install a VPN, download the ES explorer file and use it to download Kodi.
Kodi will offer you a variety of add-ons, builds, skins and third-party links for any content media. You can enjoy TV, sports, anime, cartoons, podcasts and more with one application. The advantages to Kodi are many, especially since it is free and legal to use. Just make sure to install a VPN service before jailbreaking Kodi.
This is to avoid any infringement or copyright letters from your internet service provider. Changing your IP address with a VPN is a quick and simple process. It also protects you from any legal consequences and also helps you access geo-restricted content.