Team Fortress 2 is a multiplayer first-person shooter game released in 2007 as the sequel to Team Fortress. This game allows both single-player and multiplayer modes and is compatible with PC, Xbox 360 and PS3. Team Fortress has two teams: RED and BLU. You can choose one of the nine character classes to participate in various modes.
This game is one of the few games on Steam that you can enjoy on an old laptop with no issues because of its cartoon-like visuals. This means that it doesn’t require a gaming PC to process complex graphics. However, your internet connection and network server play a huge role in your gaming experience.
With games like Team Fortress 2, you are likely to face lagging issues and high ping. High ping occurs when traffic sent from your network to the gaming servers takes too long to reach its destination. Fortunately, these latency issues are easily solved with a VPN service.
A Team Fortress 2 VPN gives you several servers to connect to. It also changes your IP address and protects you from cyber threats by encrypting your data.
There are many reasons to acquire a VPN service while gaming, which we will discuss in detail down below:
As mentioned before, a high ping causes lagging and takes out the fun from your gaming experience. You cannot enjoy the multiplayer mode with a slow connection and even slower responses. Therefore, you need a stable VPN service with Team Fortress 2.
A VPN service allows you to connect to their quick and secure servers. This makes the transmission of traffic from your data to the gaming servers’ go quicker. Hence, you would record a lower ping and have quicker gaming response. VPNs also allow you to connect to a server close in physical distance to the actual gaming servers’.
This tricks the gaming servers into believing that the route the traffic is crossing is shorter. Subsequently, you will not face lagging issues any longer.
Another common issue that gamers face is IP or bandwidth throttling. Your internet service provider can stop your internet from working if you bypass the bandwidth limit. Unfortunately, online gaming consumes a lot of bandwidth and therefore, this issue is common.
To remove your ISP’s prying eyes, all you have to do is download to a VPN service. A VPN with Team Fortress 2 changes your IP address so that your internet activity is no longer visible to your ISP. With a brand new IP address you can consume as much bandwidth as the game requires.
Packet loss is the failure of data packets to reach their destinations across a computer network. This happens because of network congestion or cyber threats. In online gaming, this issue is frequent and leads to complications. Using a VPN with Team Fortress 2 allows these data packets to go through the VPN’s secure and fast servers.
VPNs also encrypt your data so that cyber threats like bugs or malware cannot cause this packet loss. This keeps the data packets safe and helps it reach its destination. Packet loss leads to the loss of Quality of Experience (QoE) and hence ruins your gaming enjoyment. Therefore, using a VPN with Team Fortress 2 is the way to go.
DDoS Attacks and Malware
When you are a frequent online gamer you get used to the constant malware and DDoS threats. Malware are files that corrupt your own documents or even steal them for ransom. These files are malicious and harmful so avoiding them is a wise move.
Moreover, DDoS attacks happen when criminals latch onto your server and flood it with traffic. This slows you down and might even prevent you from connecting to the gaming servers. Some DDoS attackers are even fellow gamers looking to remove competition.
Therefore, you should take measures to prohibit these vicious attacks. A VPN service with Team Fortress 2 not only encrypts your data so that you’re anonymous, but it also helps with these threats.
A VPN reroutes your data through its own servers so that DDoS criminals cannot locate your own server and attack you. Furthermore, most reliable VPN services have anti-malware features that block these files.
Best VPNs for Team Fortress 2
As mentioned before, a VPN should have certain features to speed up your connection and secure your identity online. These VPNs below have the required criteria:
NordVPN is another popular VPN service that offers a variety of benefits including:
- 5,400 servers in 59 countries so you can have a variety of services and locations to pick from.
- Strong 256-AES-CBC encryption to encrypt and protect your traffic.
- Smartplay feature which speeds up your streaming and gaming and also unlocks geo-restrictions.
- NordLynx protocol which uses less code and is hence quicker.
- Cybersec feature which is an anti-malware feature that also blocks ads.
- Double VPN feature that reroutes your data through two VPN servers.
- Zero-logs policy.
- A kill switch to prevent any data leaks.
- Six simultaneous connections.
- 7-day free trial and 30-day money back guarantee.
SurfsharkVPN is a relatively new VPN that offers its users:
- 1000+ servers in 64 countries.
- CleanWeb to get rid of malware and ads.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections.
- Compatibility on all devices and a clear interface.
- Multi-hop connection that routes your data through two VPN tunnels.
- Zero-logs policy.
- A kill switch.
CyberGhostVPN presents gamers with the following:
- More than 6000 servers in 84 countries so you can never run out of servers.
- Zero-logs policy.
- An automatic kill switch that automatically cuts off your connection.
- Seven simultaneous connections.
- AES 256 encryption to secure your data.
- Anti-malware feature that also blocks ads.
- 45-day money back guarantee.
ExpressVPN is a popular VPN service in the VPN market that offers the following features:
- More than 3000 servers in 160 regions and 94 countries. This means that you can choose whatever server you need to lower your ping.
- AES-256 encryption which is military-grade encryption to secure your traffic.
- Split tunneling option to select which app or website you need working under the VPN service.
- Compatible with all devices and also compatible with TOR browser. Tor browser presents you with an extra layer of anonymity.
- Five simultaneous connections.
- Firefox and Chrome extensions to further secure your online gaming.
- A kill switch to cut off your internet connection if the VPN stops working. This protects you from any data breaches.
- Zero-logs policy and no online tracking.
- Anti-malware feature to shield you from vicious malware.
- 30-day money back guarantee.
How to Connect a VPN with Team Fortress 2
The first step to securing your online gaming experience and getting rid of latency is choosing a reliable VPN. VPNs must have certain criteria like a kill switch, a variety of servers and anti-malware features. Once you choose a VPN, follow these instructions:
- After choosing your VPN service, go to the VPN’s website and download the VPN client.
- Run the file and follow the instruction to download it.
- Go back to the website, create an account and choose your subscription plan.
- Enter your log-in info into the VPN client.
- Choose a server from the region you want.
- Hit connect.
Conclusion – Team Fortress 2 with VPN
To enjoy your gaming experience with Team Fortress 2, you need a VPN. A VPN secures your data and protects you from cyber threats. Also, with a VPN you need not worry about latency issues or having a high ping. A Team Fortress 2 VPN is the key to having fun while gaming without worrying about speed.